Preparing for your trip
The Hollyford Wilderness Experience is a well formed valley walk, suitable for most ages (10+) and abilities.
However, the days are long. The first day of walking in particular can be quite tiring for some as you walk 19.5km in approximately 7 hours while carrying your own pack. From Day Three your pack is transported for you while you carry a smaller day pack that we provide for your daily essentials. If you have a reasonable level of fitness you will find it pleasantly challenging, and highly rewarding!
To prepare yourself, we recommend structuring a training programme (at least 6 weeks beforehand) to ensure your walk with us is comfortable and therefore enjoyable.
A few helpful training tips:
- Start simple and around town - brisk walks of approximately 1 hour.
- Wear a backpack weighing about 6kgs to simulate what you will carry on Day One (only) of your Hollyford walk.
- One month out increase your walks to 3 hours – more as you get fitter - and try bush tracks or uneven terrain to develop balance and the different muscle groups needed.
- Hills and stair work will greatly improve fitness.
- Remember hydration and nutrition even in training – drink plenty of water and eat snack foods such as muesli bars, banana chips and chocolate.
What to bring
Having the right equipment for your trip is key to enjoy your experience. Here is a list of things you may want to bring along with you.Learn more
The weather in Fiordland is unpredictable and can change rapidly, it is important to be prepared. Check out what we recommend to include in your pack.Learn more
View a map of the trip you will embark on through the Hollyford Valley and surrounding area.Learn more
Once you have booked your Hollyford Wilderness Experience, you can relax and let us take care of the transport details for you. Find out all transport that is included in your trip.Learn more
Keeping you safe
Your safety at all times is our priority. Find out more details about everything we're doing to keep you safe during your trip.Learn more
Hollyford Valley is in a wilderness environment and can be affected by the weather. The close proximity of towering mountains and the ocean makes for conditions and temperatures that can vary markedly during the course of a day.Learn more